Thursday, November 20, 2008

Having That "Aha!" Moment



Introducing New Guest Blogger:
Brent Farley, Jr.

I am the proud father of two beautiful girls and the lucky husband of a beautiful wife. Along with my three girls, we also have a female dog and a female cat. Needless to say, I am surrounded by females! This wasn't the picture I had in mind when I dreamt about being surrounded by females! Anyway, I am one lucky guy.

Being surrounded by females, I believe I am qualified to make this next statement. As my wife has gotten more involved with Our Milk Money and BizEMOMS, I assumed this was another women's get together where they talk about girl stuff, gossip and complain. My wife leaves me home every now and then with the kids as she attends her monthly meeting. I've never asked what they talk about, fearing I'd get the full story on what is going on in all the ladies lives. Believe me, I don't need to hear it!

In my ignorance, my wife has given me room to perfect it! And I must confess, I was 100% completely wrong about these two organizations. (Yes honey, once again you are correct).

I attended my first event this past Saturday. Without complaining and keeping my mouth shut, we drove to Arizona State University (an hour drive from our house) to help put a float together that was going to be in the ASU homecoming parade. Little did I know, I was ready for a change in attitude.

The float was for the Buddy Walk, the number one fundraiser for the Down Syndrome Network. As I stood watching this float being decorated, I watched as a three year old kid climbed on everyones back, wanting a piggy back ride. As he approached me, he held out his arms and wanted me to pick him up. I reached for this child with Down Syndrome and my life changed. A child who didn't know me laid his head on my shoulder and loved on me! I didn't know what to do so I started rubbing his back. Patting his back. His father stood by our side and watched as I melted, thinking I need to get involved with this organization! I need to refocus my energy, and instead of solely working to make money and pad my wallet, my family can spend time helping others. We have made a commitment to think outside the walls of our home, and spend more energy helping others. This child changed my thinking. Little will he ever know, or probably even his father the impact his child has had on me. And if he can change me, he can change the world!

I was told I have had an "aha" moment, when a husband realizes that the Our Milk Money and the BizEMOMs group isn't a gossip group, or a women's tea session. They are organizations that want to make a difference in the world we live in. And they have been successful.

If you are a husband who has his wife take off to a meeting once a month, I invite you to have your own "aha" moment. A time in your life when you realize there are people in this world, no matter how small or how young, no matter what disabilities they may have, that have the power to change your life!


Brent Farley, Jr. , ECC, DCC is the Operations Manager at SWPPP Inspector. He can be reached at (480) 226-6532 or by emailing: brentfarley@desertservices.net Did you know...SWPP Solutions, LLC. has joined Desert Services? Now you can get your Dust Control, High Pressure Cleaning, Porta Johns, Roll Off Containers, Street Sweeping, Temporary Fence and your SWPP work done... ALL IN ONE PHONE CALL! One more reason why we are "The Ultimate in Construction Services"

No comments:

Post a Comment