Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Welcome to Your Life. Warning: You'll Get No Warning!


by Ally Loprete

It doesn’t matter how many times we are warned. We don’t get it until we are actually experiencing it. And maybe that is the point after all. Maybe we were meant to experience our own journeys. Why allow others to warn us when life is supposed to be lived by each of us, personally?

I think about this often when I am going through the trials and tribulations of… well just about every aspect of my life. 4 1/2 years ago I was not yet a mother, or a business owner…and when I look back at that time- it almost makes me laugh at how “empty” my life was. I was a baby myself. I never thought motherhood would be like THIS. I never thought I could become selfless, where it would actually be difficult to do things for myself without putting my children first. I never thought I would forget to eat. I never would have trusted myself as a business owner. I never would have had the gumption to “prepare for attack” to a complete stranger who had insulted my son- like a lioness ready to pounce. I never thought I’d be utterly insulted that my child wasn’t chosen to be a Jedi at the Disney Star Wars Training Camp. Couldn’t they see that he was clearly the most adorable kid in the group? I never thought I would forget what it feels like to be bored, and actually long for it on some days. I never thought I would feel this kind of love for a child- when honestly other people’s kids never did it for me. I never thought I’d be okay with sacrificing so much of our lifestyle- just so I could afford to stay home every day. I never thought I’d yearn for adult interaction this much- and then when I finally have a night out without the kids, I never thought I’d miss them as much as I did. I never thought I could love a second child as much as the first, and was surprised to learn that it made me love them BOTH even more.

I never knew my kids were going to turn out so terrific, so beautiful and smart and talented, and hilarious. I never knew I’d be so happy with 2 boys, and be okay with not having a darling little girl to dress up with little dresses and bows. I never thought I’d be able to work this hard for no pay.

I guess I am glad I didn’t listen to the warnings. It’s so much better experiencing it all for myself.

Self-employed Parent Enthusiast Ally Loprete is the Founder of OurMilkMoney.com, a nationwide online business directory of self-employed parents, and the host of This Little Parent Stayed Home, a live weekly radio show which is part of the Her Insight Group on Toginet.com. Ally is on a mission to help others deal with the sometimes overwhelming prospect of leaving a full time job to start a new business, while running a full time household and raising kids. She is resolute about creating a haven in which parents across the nation will continue to thrive and obtain the support they need in their personal journeys

No comments:

Post a Comment